myNav

Monday, November 5, 2012

Movie Monday - Dakota Skye



I’m back today with my Indie Movie spot, and am happy to report that – so far – Mr. Netflix and I have been getting along. (Read about our reunion here.) It’s been mostly peaches and roses… do those go together? Either way, I see a bright future for us. Let’s hope. I tend toward the optimistic.

Today, I’m introducing you all to Dakota Skye.

Summary (from IMDB)
For as long as she could remember, Dakota Skye has been cursed with a super power. She has the ability to see the truth in any lie she hears. From small, harmless white lies, to the more devious kind, they have come from the people that she should trust the most; her family, friends and teachers. These lies have snowballed, leading to her becoming bitter and apathetic towards the world around her. Now seventeen, Dakota just watches the world happen around her, unmotivated to join it. She has a boyfriend who plays in a semi-popular local rock band and her best friend from childhood, but finds little joy in her own life. One day, Jonah comes into town. It only takes a few days before Dakota notices something about him that sets him apart from the other people in her life. He doesn't lie.

Through her friendship with Jonah, her eyes are opened to the world around her and she sees that there is something out there more than all the lies. There is a possibility of something different... something better. If only he wasn't her boyfriend's best friend. Now she must make a choice. Can she go back to the apathy that has dictated her life, ignoring something potentially amazing? Can she take the leap into the unknown with Jonah, ignoring all the repercussions that may come from that decision? Is he really the person that she thinks he is and wants him to be? The only thing that becomes clear is that Dakota can no longer be a spectator in her own life. She has to look at her life as it was, is and could be and make a choice for the first time.

 ______________________


I had no expectations going into this film. The opening didn’t promise big things. The main character was a pretty good actress, and the narrative of her “talent” was funny enough. Her friends were atrocious actors, but I could overlook them. The boyfriend, however, with his dirty mullet, goofy rocker-wannabe attitude, and narcissistic view of himself was bwaha funny.

Examples of Dakota’s narrative went like this:

Dakota and her boyfriend are bowling and Dakota says, “I suck.” Boyfriend says, “Nah, babe, you’re not that bad.” To which the caption underneath him (the non-lie) says, “Yeah, you suck.”


True to the Indie style, the scenes were a bit lacking with emotion sometimes, and the transitions felt like they’d been pasted together by a Kindergartner… Until Jonah.

I fell in love with Jonah.

Which is saying a lot. Because his first impression didn’t leave me impressed. I don’t like to think of myself as a shallow girl, I fall in love with personalities not looks. But when it comes to Movie Stars, I like to be impressed. If I’m not, I shallowly admit, I won’t stay engaged. And when he made his grand entrance, twenty minutes into the movie, I didn’t even know he was going to be the male heroine. I felt nothing.

Then he makes THE DECLARATION. The I-can’t-get-you-outa-my-head speech. The I-know-you're-with-him and even-though-he’s-my-best-friend, dump-him-and-come-be-with-me speech. And, darn it all, I’m a sucker for that crap. So I was all Oh, Jonah after that.

He and Dakota have several scenes of alone time where he shares his deepest thoughts and life questions with her. What surprises Dakota is – dun dun dun DUN – he’s not lying to her.

*Gasp* What? SOULMATE!

If only it were that simple.

Why? Because Dakota has a boyfriend, duh. So, because Dakota has this loser boyfriend, she and Jonah can’t be together, really? I guess, but come on. With this useless barrier in their way, they of course have to hide their budding relationship, and decide to give themselves one day. One day of passion, of pretending that no one has a boyfriend, that no one has to leave (Jonah’s from New York, and, forgetful me, I can’t remember where Dakota’s from, but let’s just say it was way far away). I have to say, though, that one day of passion was bee-you-tee-full. It got my heart pumpin’. And it was mostly innocent. They didn’t even cross that line.

Oh, Jonah… sigh.

Overall, this movie was too stinkin’ cute for words. The characters surprised me with their depth as much as the no-namer actors surprised me with their skill. Dakota was funny, sincere, and it was interesting and somewhat heartbreaking to watch how she dealt with her “talent”. I would absolutely hate to know every time I was being lied to. I would definitely become even more jaded than Dakota was. It would wear on me as it did her, and she portrays that well. We even get to see her grow up a little, despite the unrealistic (or maybe too realistic) complete lack of a mother in the film. This movie left me feeling warm and fuzzy, just as I hadn’t dared hope when I started it.

And it ends exactly as it should, but shh, I’m not telling. Go watch for yourself :)

1 comment: