myNav

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Accidentally On Purpose



 Goodreads Summary
Emmy thinks her boss Kyle Sterling of Sterling Corporations is a jerk.

So, she sleeps with him.

Emmy tries to put the mistake behind her, but then finds herself snowed in with Kyle. As the snow builds, so does the heat in the house between the two. The problem is that Kyle has a steady girlfriend that he is unwilling to break up with. Emmy cuts Kyle off and starts dating Luke. Even as their relationship takes off, Emmy is finding Kyle hard to shake. He is blatant in his feelings and desires for Emmy, putting her in an awkward situation. She tries hard to resist Kyle, but deep down inside Emmy's motives are shady. When Emmy succumbs to her hidden feelings for Kyle without setting Luke free, devastating consequences ensue.

In addition to her two men, Emmy daydreams about doing violent things to her loud mouthed, opinionated mother.

With some humor and sarcasm, and of course, some tequila, Emmy's world will flip upside down as she deals with the results of "accidentally on purpose" falling for two men at once.


 _____________________


Oh. Wow. First, I must say, I have read books about cheating before, and they usually leave me with a bad taste in my mouth, yet I can’t seem to stay away from them. I’m a glutton for punishment, I guess. But when I read Bookaholic’s review of this book, I was very intrigued and big-ole-glutton me had to check it out. I had a feeling I’d be in for a rollercoaster, but I also thought it would be a quick and fun, light romance about a girl and guy that just couldn’t stay away from each other, despite not wanting to let go of their current relationships.

I was right and wrong.

Rollercoaster, it was. Fun, light, handsy, hot romance it was not. Well, except for the handsy, hot part. This story was far more serious that I expected, and to give an apt description as to how I felt, I’ll say this:  Accidentally On Purpose took a hammer to my glass heart and had me on my knees happily taking my time, picking up the shattered pieces. I have read a lot of books, but none that so precisely describe the addictive duality of pleasure and pain. I took it all in the gut, the pleasure and the pain, and gleefully asked for more.

Emmy was a spunky, sure woman. I loved her from the start. Especially her no-holds-barred mouth with her boss. Her antagonistic relationship with her mother was… familiar. I would bust out laughing during their phone conversations. Kyle was really fun and sexy. To start. My opinion of him ping-ponged throughout the novel, and rightfully so.

Luke. I fell in love with Luke the moment I met him. And I actually felt like I met him. And I wish I could meet him again… Down, girl. Okay. I’m back.

The story definitely had its moments where I was going bu-bu-but I want this and this and this to happen. But as a whole, it was so wonderfully spun, I can’t imagine it going any other way. And usually these types of stories have me screaming in frustration, pulling my hair out when the characters act like complete idiots because they are completely blind to the disastrous consequences barreling their way.

Accidentally On Purpose was also mature beyond my expectations and spans quite a bit of time, which I really liked. It dealt with a few heavy issues that I can't get into, because I don't want to give anything away. But I felt these situations and the aftermath were very realistic and handled with grace. The amount of time the novel spans, gave us a true sense for the characters, and we got to see the growth of the characters over time, not just their immediate actions and reactions. I don’t usually do this – compare story with story – but this story, with its longer lapse of time and maturity and emotional growth of the characters, reminded me of On the Island. I absolutely adored that book, and already feel like I adore this one just as much.

Thank you, L.D. Davis for such a beautiful, truthful, and pleasantly painful story. I have a feeling I will find myself reading this one again. Soon.

7 comments:

  1. Eeep! I am such a masochist for being torn between both of those guys, even after having everything laid out on the table. I am so ASHAMED! LOL! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I felt the same way, too. I just didn't go into detail, lol. I pretty much kept flip-flopping until almost the end, even though I had already picked out who I wanted her to be with. So torn!

      Delete
  2. This is a great review, Megan. My reviews are always so lame, especially when I'm afraid of revealing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. You just used the words "On the Island". Done. I'm adding this to my tbr.

    Great review! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Andrea. Only my opinion, but I hope this book is as great for you as it was for me!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an amazing book! Thanks so much for sharing! Might be one of the next ones I pick up.

    ReplyDelete