myNav

Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Too-Soon Goodbye and a FREE gift that could save your life



Trevor on the left, with his buddies
I’ve been quiet in the online social world this week. We lost a friend this week. His name was Trevor, he was two weeks older than me, a fabulous musician, warm-hearted, laid back, hilarious, and an all-around good guy. I don’t handle death well. Not that anyone does, but I guess you could say, I don’t handle it normally. I’m a firm believer in heaven, hell, and a loving God, but it’s still difficult for me to fathom a person being here one minute and the next, gone. It’s an issue my brain battles from time to time, so when I think about Trevor’s death, it’s hard to make my brain grasp that he’s just gone.

I don’t handle funerals well, either. I’ve been fortunate in that I can count the funerals I’ve been to on one hand, and this is the first time I’ve experienced a friend, someone our age, dying. And, again, not that anyone handles a funeral, but I get clammy, nervous. I’m uncomfortable. I can’t come within so many feet of an open casket. It doesn’t seem right saying goodbye to an unbreathing body with no soul. And you can feel it. When you’re there, bent over them, looking at the too-thick makeup, and their strangely molded hands folded over their middle, it’s just… not right. I don’t like it. I don’t know if anyone else shares this view, but I can’t help how I feel.

At Trevor’s service, his father stood and made a speech about how he was an early walker, bright, a good older brother, kind to everyone he met, and how that night he asked his dad if he could borrow something. His dad said “sure, come on over”. Trevor said, “Thanks, Pops. I’ll be there in twenty.” And never showed.

Our hearts are hurting, but what hurts the most is how preventable his death was.

Sunday night, Trevor lost control of his car in the rain and catapulted into a pond. He panicked, didn’t think to open a window right away before his car filled with water, and by the time he was fully submerged, he couldn’t open the door or break the glass. It took rescue workers an hour to get him out.

Hundreds of people a year die this way, and my husband and I want to do everything we can to make sure this never happens again. Below is a video, showing exactly how to get out of a car, should you find yourself submerged in water. ALSO, we are ordering glass break/seat belt cutting tools from Amazon and are giving these out FREE! If you do a search on Amazon, you’ll see several different brands. Here is the one we’re giving out. If you want one PLEASE CONTACT ME. We will buy and ship FREE. This is at NO COST to you. NO questions asked. (I'm fully aware that I sound like an infomercial right now.) We just want to make sure such a preventable death never happens again, as much as we can within our ability.

If you want to buy your own, PLEASE DO. If you want us to send you one, go to my CONTACT ME page, or email me your info directly at meganhandwrites@gmail.com. All I need is your name and address, and we’ll ship it out as soon as we get them in. You are NOT putting us out by asking for one. We want to help. Let us do that.

Thank you for reading. Prayers for his family are much appreciated, and please please watch the video below!




Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

15 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. That is terrible. That is a really good thing you are doing though giving out the tool that could have saved his life. It never hurts to be prepared. I am sorry again and wish you and your family well during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your loss! What a terrible way to die!

    I hate looking at dead people in open caskets. I shy away from things like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so sorry :( He looks like such a beautiful guy with a great spirit. I recently attended a funeral for the most bubbly, "life of the party", "friend to everyone" 27 year old woman I've ever known, and it was heartbreaking. I can relate to your shock and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, that's so sad :( I'll be praying for her family!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this. It's heart breaking. I think it is wonderful what you are doing in offering that tool to people. My thoughts are with you, and everyone else hurting and trying to heal from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. Thanks, everyone for your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. Oh Megan. I hate that you lost your friend, and I hate this for his family. Sending my best thoughts, and thank you for posting that video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. No matter what we believe about the afterlife, death is hard. It's life changing for everyone left behind. I've heard about these window breakers to keep in the car and I think it's a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about your loss of a good friend. Your heart has spoken loudly in your post. You and your family are so generous to want to help prevent such painful losses.

    Thank you for sharing your deep loss and your convictions. Thank you for bringing a new awareness to problems most people do not think of when they are driving! I know I certainly didn't learn that procedure back in the day of drivers ed. Prayers of healing and good memories kept sacred. ~Shanah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Shanah and Kaylee. I appreciate everyone's kind words. And I'm happy to help. Whatever we can do. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your friend, Megan. This is one of those accidents you see on TV, but never expect it to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, I am so, so sorry for your loss. I used to have one of those tools in my car. I think I still do. You are doing an amazing service. I'm sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just reading this. so sorry for your loss. this is really heartbreaking. :((

    ReplyDelete