myNav

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I'm a Juice Girl


I need juice to survive. This is not to be mistaken with orange juice, meh. Or veggie juice, good for me but blech! But I do love me some creative juices.

I count myself a lucky girl. I’d say about ninety percent of the time I sit down to write the juices are there, just waiting to be tapped so they can flow, creating a frothy swirl through my brain before they nosedive into my keyboard tapping fingers.

Necessity, these juices.

But, I admit shamefully, there are many times I do not sit down at my computer because of the simple fear these juices are running low, moving syrupy slow, or are just plain tapped out. It’s scary for me. I don’t know why. I get this pum-puhpum in my heart, even when I’ve mapped out exactly what I’m going to write on a given night. And for some stupid reason, instead of heading to my office to do exactly what I want to do, I veer off course, settle onto my bed and spend an evening with my Kindle, soaking in someone else’s creativity, enjoying the flavor of someone else’s juices, and letting my own grow stale.

Why do I do this? Because it’s easy. I don’t have to lean on my sometimes unpredictable juices. But, truthfully, it’s silly. And a time waster. Not that reading is EVER a time waster, it’s not. And often, when the juices are low, reading can create a fresh juice swell, which I love.

But now, having pulled back the curtain on my anonymity, and releasing my Newborn Author Self into the world, I no longer have the luxury of stupid fears. I must rely on my juices to grow arms when I can’t reach things, be my weapon in battle, and fight for me when I can’t fight for myself.

What do my juices ask for in return? That I show up. Seems very little give for what I take. I know my liquid stash won’t always be full to the brim. It won’t always have the speed of an Olympic runner or the perfect flavor I’m after, but I trust it. I trust the juices.

And so should you.

Check out these links HERE and HERE for some ideas on how to get that creative juice ocean moving for you :)



2 comments: